I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the electric car segment is red hot these days. Every major manufacturer is releasing or working on releasing an EV model making used electric cars a steal.
Firstly, the trend toward EV’s means great news for us consumers.
We have more selection and more competitive pricing in all forms of vehicles, combustion or not. But EV’s?
Secondly, these things are depreciating like rocks. For a value hunter like myself, depreciation is our best friend.
Scrolling through the Interweb I compiled a list of the biggest values in the used EV market. There’s a little bit of everything here depending on your taste.
Table of Contents
- Ford Focus Electric- The Underdog
- Volkswagen E Golf- The Athlete
- Chevrolet Volt- The Rationalist
- Tesla Model S- The King
- Bmw i3- The Urban Dweller
- Nissan Leaf- The Minimalist
Ford Focus Electric– The Underdog
- (2011-2018) Used Price: $7k+ MSRP base new: $39,995
- Pro: Ford Focus Electric looks like any other gas-powered Focus.
- Con: EPA estimated range of 76-115 miles
Volkswagen E Golf– The Athlete
- (2014-2020) Used Price: $12k+, MSRP base new: $31,300
- Pro: Great handling, superior build quality, handsome exterior
- Con: Weak range EPA estimates 125 miles
Chevrolet Volt– The Rationalist
- (2011-2019) Used Price: $7K+, MSRP base new: $41,000
- Pro: No range anxiety, ride quality, gas engine
- Con: Love it or hate it looks, interior materials, gas engine
Tesla Model S– The King
- (2012-present) Used Price $26K+, MSRP base new: $57,400
- Pro: Stylish good looks, superior range and tech, supercharging network, Arguably best EV
- Con: Fit and finish issues, service network, repair costs
Bmw i3– The Urban Dweller
- (2014-present) Used Price $13K+, MSRP base new: $44,450
- Pro: Available range extender, BMW quality, nimble, quick
- Con: Quirky looks, coach doors, tight interior space, Bmw reliability and maintenance, parts cost, tires
Nissan Leaf– The Minimalist
- (2011-present) Used Price: $6k+, MSRP base new: $33,720
- Pro: Best selling EV, Reliability, Cost
- Con: Exterior styling is polarizing, Weak Range in early models EPA estimates 107 miles